Dr. Richa Awasthy
Associate Professor , School of Business, Public Policy and Social Entrepreneurship
- Ph. D in Management with specialization in Organizational Behaviour, under the guidance of Prof. Rajen K. Gupta (MDI, Gurgaon) and Dr. N. K. Jain (Jamia Hamdard University), from Jamia Hamdard University, Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi-110062.
- M.A. Psychology from Delhi University
Seminar / Conferences
- Importance of in-class and virtual experiential exercise in learning group dynamics, in the competitive session of the AIB – India 2019 conference held at ICFAI Foundation for Higher Education (IFHE), Hyderabad, 22nd – 24th April, 2019.
- Indigenous research: LajjA – Antecedent and consequences, Lab Seminar at International laboratory for Socio-Cultural Research,
- National Research University Higher School of Economics,
- Moscow, Russia (co-author Bhawuk D.P.S.), 4th April 2019.
- Unravelling the Layers of Indian Culture and Worldview, presented at VI International Research Conference “Culture in Society, Between Groups and Across Generations”, Moscow, 5 – 6 April 2019 (co-author Gupta, R.K.)
- Importance Of Experiential Exercise In Understanding Diversity, presented at 4th Flame International Conference On Research And Teaching Cases (in association with ET Cases, Emerald Publishing And International Journal of Global Business and Competitiveness), Flame University, Pune 21-22 June 2018.
- Bhawuk, D. P. S. & Awasthy, R. (2017). Envisioning Indian Psychology in the Next Quarter Century: A Reflective and Critical Workshop. A half-day workshop presented at the Fifth Indian Academy of Management (INDAM) Conference (December18-20, 2017), Indore, India, on December 17, 2017.
- A Qualitative study of Indian Culture: Go with the flow or Samarpan, presented in symposium titled Advances in Indian Psychology: Theory, Method, and Practice, at 27th Annual Conference of NAOP, 2017 at IIT Kharagpur 22rd - 24th December 2017.
- In Global Virtual Student Teams – A Study From The X-Culture Experience”, was presented in AIB 2017 International Conference Dubai, 2 – 5th July, 2017. (With Co-Author Dr. Sumati Varma)
- "Participatory Action Research in Indian Context: A Case Study”, was presented in International Organizational Development Association (IODA) Conference, World Conference 2016, India, Mysore, India, 24-27 August 2016. The paper was presented by co-author: Ameet Mattoo (Founder Think Change Consulting).
- "Organizations in India: Are they facing a Cultural Paradox between External Adaptation and Internal Integration?", was presented in Indian Academy of Management Conference, IIM - Ahmadabad, 13-15th December 2013. The paper was presented by co-author: Prof. Rajen K. Gupta (MDI, Gurgaon).
- “Qualitative Multiple Case Studies To Understand Indian Executives’ Lived-in Experiences Of Working In MNCs Operating in India”, as a part of symposium on ‘Qualitative and Mixed Method Research’, in the 12th International HRM Conference, MDI, Gurgaon, December 10-13, 2012.
- "Corporate Transformation or Cosmetic Makeover? A Case Study of Public Sector Bank in India", as part of symposium at an International Conference in the 13th Biennial ISSWOV Conference on Stability and Change, jointly organized by Department of Management Studies, Goa University, at Goa, India in June 24-27, 2012.
- Internalization of new organizational culture: lessons from employees’ lived-in experiences: in International conference: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 7-11 August 2009, Chicago.
- Organizational commitment of Indian managers’: a field study: in International conference: Conference on Asian Management Perspectives: People, strategy and evolutions, March, 2009, IIM Lucknow, Noida campus, India.
- Organizational Structure of MNCs operating in India: in International conference, APROS (Challenges in Organizing and Managing in Rapidly Emerging Economies: Learning to Organize in the Global World), December, 2007, Management Development Institute, Gurgaon, India.
- HR Practices of MNCs operating in India and their impact on Organizational Commitment: in International Conference on Strategic HRM in a Global Economy, July, 2007, Coimbatore, India.
- Inter Cultural Relationships in MNCs: A study of interaction between Indian executives and Expatriate Managers: in the South Asian Management Forum, 2004, Lahore, Pakistan.
- Diagnosis for Organizational Improvement: Case study of a government Agency: in the International conference & exhibition on the theme: Value creation and human development: the emerging dimensions, during 22-25 November 2004, Delhi.
- Leveraging Diversity-Corporate Experience: in the conference on Managing Diversity: HR Perspectives, 22nd February 2003, Jamia Hamdard University, Delhi.
- Impact of Machiavellianism on Organizational Role Stress and managerial Effectiveness: in the national Conference on Recent Trends in Human Resource Development, 1997, Delhi University.
- April, 2007-till April 2016 worked as faculty in Organizational Behaviour area at International Management Institute (IMI), Qutab Institutional Area, New Delhi. OB Courses taught in PGDM, PGDM-HR, PGP-for working executives, Qualitative Research in Fellow Program in Management (FPM).
- August, 2006-March, 2007 worked as Visiting Faculty at Indian Business Academy, Greater Noida (Courses- Understanding Behaviour, and Organizational Structure & Design)
- September, 2006-December, 2006 worked as Visiting faculty at Jamia Hamdard University, Delhi (Course-Organizational Effectiveness and Change)
- May, 2005-June, 2005 worked as visiting faculty at Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad (Course-Managing Global Resources)
- August, 2003-March, 2004 worked as visiting faculty at Institute of Technology Science (ITS), Ghaziabad (Courses- Organizational Behaviour, and Team Building & Leadership)
Research and Consulting Experience:
- Invited as a speaker to give comments about “What is Management” organized by NGO: ISST, Delhi on 23rd July 2011.
- Setting up questionnaire for the recruitment of HR-Supervisor in power Grid Corporation, February 2010.
- Taken training session in program on Leadership And Team Buildingfor senior officers of government of zambia, 2009.
- Group discussion evaluator for National Housing Bank (2007, 2008).
- Part of selection committee (NDPL, 2008).
- Conducted team building Training session with Auralis Consulting for ‘FI IT Tech Associates Pvt. Ltd’ (April 2007).
- Worked as Consulting Associate with Ranbaxy from July, 2004 to January, 2005.
- Worked as Consultant (Retainer) with Dalal Mott Mac Donald in a project with Ghaziabad Development Authority from February, 2003 to December, 2004.
- Worked as Research Assistant with Management Development institute, Gurgaon in a research Project “Women in Police” from August, 2002 to January, 2003.
- Worked as Research Assistant with Management Development institute, Gurgaon in a research Project “Cross Cultural research project-perception of work in India and Japan: implication of gender and age” from June, 2001 to May, 2002
- Worked in a research Project “Interface of Values in MNCs" as Research Assistant with Professor Jai. B. P. Sinha (Assert Institute of Management Studies) and Professor R. K. Gupta (Management Development institute, Gurgaon) sponsored by the Indian Council of Social Science Research, Government of India, New Delhi from February, 2000 to May, 2001
- Worked as Consultant at Hughes Software Systems (HSS), Gurgaon on the project “Study of early socialization process at HSS” conducted by Management Development Institute, Gurgaon from November, 1998 to February, 1999.
- Worked as Research Officer at Haryana Institute of Public Administration in Faculty of Behavioural Sciences from October, 1997 to August, 1998. The job responsibilities included conducting training courses and organizing surveys exclusively for the personnel of Haryana Government.
- Qualitative Research in Management: Methods and Experiences, Edited volume, February, 2015, Sage Publications. (with first author Prof. Rajen K. Gupta)[ISSN NO:978-93-515-0103-9]
B. Book chapters
- Indian Managers and their Perceptions of Expatriates – A Comparative Assessment based on the Schwartz and the Hofstede Models of Cultural Values. (with second author Prof. Rajen K Gupta). In Rohmetra, N. and Gupta, A. “Cross Cultural Management – Practice and Research”, Ed., Primus Publications, 2014.[ISSN NO. 978-93-80607-71-9]
- Developing Culturally Competent Managers: A Framework and Strategies (with Prof. Anup Singh). In Rohmetra, N. and Gupta, A. “Cross Cultural Management – Practice and Research”, Ed., Primus Publications, 2014.
- Qualitative Research: An Introduction (with first author, Prof. Rajen K. Gupta). In Qualitative Research in Management: Methods and Experiences, Ed., February, 2015, Sage Publications.
- On Becoming a Qualitative Researcher. In Gupta, R.K. and Awasthy, R. “Qualitative Research in Management: Methods and Experiences”, Ed., February, 2015, Sage Publications.
- The Churning Process: Insights from the Experiences (with first author, Prof. Rajen K. Gupta). In “Qualitative Research in Management: Methods and Experiences”, Ed., February, 2015, Sage Publications.
C. Teaching cases and teaching exercise
- Case Study of Early Socialization Process in American MNC: Dilemma of Glocal vs Glocal Approach, “Indian Journal of Training and Development”, 47 (4), 2017: 43 - 46.(With second author Prof. S.K.Kalra and third author Prof. Rajen K. Gupta). [ISSN: 2231-0681]
- NCR hospital: turnaround dilemmas of a leader, “Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies”, 7 (3), 2017: 1-24. (with second author Prof. Rajen K Gupta)
- SADRAG: NGOs with Organizational Growth Challenges “Emerald Emerging Market Case Studies” 5 (7), 2015: 1 - 9. [ISSN NO. 2045-0621]
- Organizational Changes in Bank of Baroda, “Asian Case Research Journal” 16 (1), 2012: 65-92. (with second author: Vijayalakshmi C., & third author: Rajen K. Gupta)[ISSN NO. 0218-9275]
- Competing Value Framework: Learning about Organizational Culture, “The 2011 Pfeiffer Annual Consulting” (Publisher John Wiley & Sons). ISBN: 978-1-118-27379-1
D. Journal publications
- Professional Service Firms as LO: A case of an Indian Rural Management Consultancy Firm. “Management and Labour Studies” Vol.40 (3&4) 1–19, April 2016.
- Understanding the growth needs and challenges of an NGO. “Indian Journal of Social Work” [TISS] (with second author Nihar Sharma) Volume 77, Issue 1, January, 2016: 67-90.
- Journey of Doing Quasi-ethnographic Study in Organizations. “Vision” Vol. 19 No. 3, 2015: 219–226
- Cultural determinants of alliance management capability – an analysis of Japanese MNCs in India. “Asia Pacific Business Review” Vol. 23 No.3, 2015: 424 - 448. [Taylor and Francis] (with first author Dr. Sumati Verma, third author Kalpna Narain and fourth author Rishika) ISSN 1360-2381
- Gender Sensitivity among employees in NGO Sector: A case study. “Parikalpana-KIIT Journal of Management”, Vol. 11 (II), July-December, 2015: 107 – 126. (With second author, Nisha Sahai).
- Wholesome learning about self and others through Sensitivity training: Experiences of Indian MBA students. “Journal of Indian Business Research” Vol. 7 No. 4, 2015: 338-359 (with second author Dinesh Jaisinghani & third author Prof. Rajen K. Gupta).
- A Cultural Paradox in organizations in India. “International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management (IJICBM)” Vol. 10, No. 4, 2015: 391–408. (with second author Prof. Rajen K Gupta) ISSN 1753-080
- Corporate Transformation or a Cosmetic Makeover? A case study of a Public Sector bank in India. “The Indian Journal of Industrial Relations” Vol. 49, July 2013, pp. 67-81. (with second author: Vijayalakshmi Chandrasekaran, & third author: Rajen K. Gupta) [ISSN:0019-5286]
- Dimensions of Learning Organization in Indian context. “International Journal of Emerging Markets” Vol. 7 (3), 2012: 222 - 244 (Publisher-Emerald).[ISSN: 1746-8809]
- The organizational socialisaton of young software engineers: the case study of an US subsidiary in India. “International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management” Vol.5 (4), 2012: 415-437. [Publisher inderscience] (with second author Satish K. Kalra & third author Rajen K. Gupta) [ISSN:1753-0814]
- Do Non-Work Practices In MNCs Operating In India Impact Organizational Commitment?. “Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies”, Vol. 2(2), 2011: 28-52. [Publisher-EBSCO] (with second author Rajen K. Gupta)[ISSN: 2029-4581]
- Is learning orientation in manufacturing and service firms different in India?. “Learning Organization, The”, Vol. 18(5), 2011: 392 – 408. (with second author Rajen K. Gupta) [ISSN: 0969-6474]
- Top-down change in a public sector bank: lessons from employees' lived-in experiences. “Journal of Indian Business Research”, Vol. 3(1), 2011: 43 - 62 (Publisher-Emerald). (with second author: Vijayalakshmi Chandrasekaran, & third author: Rajen K. Gupta)[ISSN NO. 1755-4195]
- Organizational Commitment of Indian Managers in Multinational Companies. “Indian Journal of Industrial Relations”, 45(3), 2010: 424-436. (with second author Rajen K. Gupta)
- Work Life Balance: Causes, consequences and interventions. “NHRD Network Journal, Vol. 2, July 2009: 59-67. (I am second author) [ISSN NO. 0974-1739]
- Assessment of Cultural Shifts in an Indian Public Sector Bank. “International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management”, (Publisher-Inderscience), 2 (3), 2009: 307-325. (I am second author) [ISSN NO: 1753-0806]
- Indian Executives’ Perceptions of Expatriate Managers. “International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management” (Publisher-Inderscience), 2 (2), 2009: 164-184. (with second author Rajen K. Gupta) [ISSN NO:1753-0806]
- Indian Employee’s Experience with Foreign MNCs: A case study of a Korean Company in India. “Nirma University Journal of Business And Management Studies”, 1 (4), 2007 (April): 5-26. [ISSN NO: 2249-5630]
- Cross-cultural management in a Multinational: A case study of an Anglo-American MNC in India. “Management and Change”, 9 (1), 2005: 95-118. (with second author Rajen K. Gupta) [ISSN NO:0972-2149]
- How do Indian Executives define Organizational Effectiveness. “Indian Journal of Industrial Relations”, 39 (3), 2004 (Jan): 281-297. (with second author Rajen K. Gupta)
- Diagnosis for Organisational Improvements: Case Study of a Government Agency. “Indian Journal of Public Administration”, 1 (4), 2004 (Oct-Dec.): 1134-1155. (with second author Rajen K. Gupta) [ISSN NO. 0019-5561]
- Case Study: An Indo-Japanese MNC operating in India. “South Asian Journal of Management”, 11 (3), 2004 (July-Sept.): 94-114. (with second author Rajen K. Gupta) [ISSN NO: 0971-5428]
E. Magazine and newspaper articles
- Cryofreezing: Is it Exploration or Exploitation?. Social Welfare, July 2015.[published from Central Social Welfare Board] [with first author Dr. Kshitija Wason]
- The Balancing Act: how to manage time between work and family life. Human Capital, March 2001. [with second author Prof. Rajen K. Gupta]
- Welcome a Board: A study of Organizational socialization practices for new recruits in a multinational software company. Human Capital, August 2001. [with first author Prof. Satish K. Kalra and third author Prof. Rajen K. Gupta]
- Performance phobia. The Hindustan Times, 26th April 2001.
- Education not just a literacy. The Hindustan Times, 18th May 2001.