|Course Type||Course Code||No. Of Credits|
Semester and Year Offered: Semester III in Year II
Course Coordinator and Team: Kalindi Maheshwari
Email of course coordinator: Kalindi@aud.ac.in
Aim The course familiarises the participant to the structure of the MNE, which continuously strives towards economic and operational efficiency. The emphasis is on the political, geographical, managerial and ethical challenges that confront it especially in the face of emerging and developing markets.
- To provide an overview of the functioning of the multinational amidst globalisation
- To debate the ethical challenges of operating an international business
- Highlight the social and cultural challenges of operating in foreign markets and managing cross cultural management teams
- To study MNE operations and their development from the nuclei of the firm
- To explore the complexities of emerging markets and their role in MNE operations
- Discuss institutional governance of international business and its historic development
Brief description of modules/ Main modules:
- Unit 1: Globalization and its Critiques
- Unit 2: Fundamentals of international business
- Unit 3: Institutional Environment for IB/ International Political Economy
- Unit 4: IB Negotiations and Culture
- Unit 5: IB Strategy
- Unit 6: International institutions/ agencies and agreements
Assessment Details with weights:
- Case Analysis/Assignments 30% (throughout course)
- Mid semester 25% (4/5th Week)
- End semester 25% (8th Week)
- Quiz/Group Presentations 20% (throughout course)
- Stiglitz, J. E. (2002). Globalization and its discontents. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Friedman, T. L. (2005). The world is flat: A brief history of the twenty-first century. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- Hill, C. W. L. (2005). International business: Competing in the global marketplace. Boston: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- Porter, M. E. (1986). Competition in global industries. Boston, Mass: Harvard Business School Press.
- Ghauri, P. N., & Usunier, J. C. (2003). International business negotiations. Emerald Group Publishing.
- O'brien, R. (2000). Contesting global governance: Multilateral economic institutions and global social movements (Vol. 71). Cambridge University Press.
- Paul, Justin. (2013). International Business. PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd.
- Naomi, K. (2000). No logo: Taking aim at the brand bullies. New York: Picador.